Please apply online at https://wam.rocks/3F539YZ and be sure to submit both a resume & cover letter
About Women's Audio Mission: Women’s Audio Mission (WAM), is a San Francisco-based nonprofit dedicated to the advancement of women and gender-expansive individuals in music production and the recording arts, a field in which these individuals are critically underrepresented (less than 5%). WAM uses music and media to attract 4,000+ women/girls/ gender-expansive individuals a year to music technology studies/careers, and believes that women/gender-expansive individual's participation in creative technology will expand the voice of music and media, ensuring that their views and ideas are conveyed in popular culture. Founded in 2003, WAM has grown exponentially to serve 50+ school partners across three school districts and includes two recording studios we own in San Francisco, an educational lab space in Oakland, and global reach online to 30+ countries. WAM’s staff consists of teaching artists, audio professionals, and passionate, hardworking individuals in a combination of full time, part time, and contract roles.
WAM’s professional recording studios are the only studios in the world entirely built and run by women/gender-expansive individuals. Our studio and engineers have worked on projects with Sheila E., Neko Case, Kronos Quartet, Toro y Moi, Margaret Cho, Tune-Yards, Beyonce’s Band, Angelique Kidjo (Grammy win), Academy Award-winning soundtrack to the film Dirty Wars, Mary J. Blige/Hillary Clinton Interview and more.
Watch videos about WAM: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLei-XYYGwj7mCCi9C1ilGdOrgRMOO3Wdh
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Education, the Education Coordinator and Instructor will be responsible for coordinating logistics and administration for all WAM education programs and for teaching audio technology classes to girls and gender-expansive youth and/or adults. The Education Coordinator and Instructor collaborates with the Education team to support education program logistics with communications, outreach, scheduling, facilities, equipment coordination and instruction. The ideal candidate has experience teaching youth and/or adults, education in and experience with audio technology, program coordination and administration, and stellar communication skills. The successful applicant will be someone who is passionate about our mission of advancing women, girls and gender-expansive folks in the fields of music, media and technology.
Role and Responsibilities:
Education Program Support (85%)
Adult Education (30%)
- Provides administrative support for Adult Education classes and conferences.
- Corresponds with adult education instructors to determine equipment and facilities needs for their courses.
- Supports with equipment coordination and scheduling facilities for adult education and conference offerings
- Sets up any equipment or video conferencing equipment or platforms (e.g. Zoom, Streamyard) required by instructors in advance of classes.
- Staffs virtual & in-person classes and conferences and provides instructor support. Adult classes typically take place in the evenings and sometimes weekends.
- Compiles promotional assets (copy, images, details) for website and social media promotion.
- Manages all communications with students and troubleshoots any student issues.
Girls on the Mic Administrative Support (25%)
- Provides scheduling and technical support for Girls on the Mic (GOTM) Youth Program Studio Days
- Supports Education team with equipment maintenance (often shared across programs), including the hardware and software in our Oakland learning lab
- Prepares paperwork and equipment for each session (3x year)
Internship Program (15%)
- Provides scheduling, studio orientation and technical support for Intern Studio Days
- Collaborates with Internship Program Manager to staff intern meetings and events (around Bay Area)
- Supports Internship Program Manager with ongoing intern correspondence
- Supports Internship Program Manager with facilitating time-sensitive program opportunities such as shadowing and guest speakers
General Department Support (15%)
- Serves as primary contact for members participating in education programs, as well as general department correspondence
- Works with Education team and Marketing Manager to collect Education content for Newsletter and social media
- Provides instruction for Girls on the Mic classes, offered to middle school girls ages 11-18. Classes take place in WAM's studio, Oakland location and also at our partner San Francisco and Oakland schools. Local travel is required between WAM’s two studios, offices and school partner sites. Roughly 1–2 classes per week, as needed.
- Adult Education Instruction, depending on certification and experience, in areas such as Pro Tools and Basic Recording Techniques
● 1-3 years of program coordination and/or administrative work, including scheduling, organization, communications
● 1-3 years of instructional experience teaching youth and/or adults in classroom setting
● Educational background and/or experience in audio technology
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
● Experience using and setting up audio software such as Garageband, Pro Tools or similar, audio equipment such as microphones, audio interfaces, mixing consoles and speakers.
● Strong organizational skills
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Excellent verbal and written skills
● Bilingual in Spanish
● Experience with culturally-responsive teaching
● Pro Tools Certification
Location: This in-person position is located in San Francisco and Oakland, with regular travel throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, with occasional travel nationally.
Compensation and Benefits: $55,000–60,000 All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package. This position is a full-time, 40 hour week position and has the potential for growth within the organization.
Women's Audio Mission is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life to apply.
Please do not call or email about this position.
This is a rolling application process, with Cover Letters and Resumes reviewed beginning 12/9, with an anticipated start date in early 2023. Please apply online at https://wam.rocks/3F539YZ and be sure to submit both a resume & cover letter