Apply online at https://wam.rocks/3yhevaH
About Women's Audio Mission: Women’s Audio Mission (WAM), is a San Francisco-based nonprofit dedicated to the advancement of women and gender-expansive individuals in music technology and digital media production, a field in which these individuals are critically underrepresented (less than 5%). WAM uses music and media to attract 4,000+ women/girls/ gender-expansive individuals a year to creative technology studies/careers, and believes that women/gender-expansive individuals’ participation in creative technology will expand the voice of music and media, ensuring that women/gender-expansive individuals' views and ideas are conveyed in popular culture. Founded in 2003, WAM has grown exponentially to serve 50+ school partners across three school districts and includes two recording studios we own in San Francisco, an educational lab space in Oakland, and global reach online to 30+ countries. WAM’s staff consists of teaching artists, audio professionals, and passionate, hard-working individuals in a combination of full time, part time, and contract roles.
Watch videos about WAM: wam.rocks/videos
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Education, the Internship Program Manager will be responsible for WAM’s Internship Program management, Intern Membership Program Coordination, and administration of WAM’s job placement efforts. The Internship Manager plays a critical role in recruiting intern candidates, creating, facilitating and leading interns as they work cross-organizationally on projects. This position is also responsible for communications and engagement strategies of intern graduates to increase job placements. The Internship Program Manager collaborates with all members of the WAM staff. The ideal candidate has experience in education (3-4 years of education and/or office administration), managing youth and/or emerging professionals, program coordination, including scheduling and overseeing volunteers or other staff and training in audio technology. The successful applicant will be someone who is passionate about WAM’s mission of advancing women, girls and gender-expansive folks in the fields of music, media and technology.
About WAM Education Programs:
Girls on the Mic is a groundbreaking after-school program that provides 2,000+ San Francisco Bay Area girls (96% low income, 92% girls of color, ages 11-18) from under-resourced communities per year with free, hands-on music production and media arts training in a professional studio environment and through our 50+ school partners. The Girls on the Mic curriculum is rooted in the National Core Media Arts and California Performing Arts Standards and amplifies the voices and creativity of girls and gender-diverse youth.
WAM Core Adult Classes provide rigorous, hands-on certification training in professional audio and the recording arts, led by award-winning women instructors in WAM’s world class recording studios. WAM Core classes serve 500+ San Francisco Bay Area women and gender-diverse adults per year and include Introduction to Audio Production and Recording, Professional Studio Recording, Live Sound, Pro Tools, Electronic Music Production, Podcasting, Intro to Max, Intro to Acoustics, Intro to Mastering, Synth Building, Classical Recording, and more.
WAMCon is WAM’s interactive recording conference for women and gender-diverse individuals featuring top leaders in the industry, including GRAMMY award-winning music producers, recording engineers, songwriters, beatmakers, and record executives involved in making the music we all love. Workshops and discussions cover topics like recording techniques, mixing, mastering, vocal production, songwriting (including demo feedback), beatmaking, the music business, music licensing, and more. Sound for Picture conferences feature Oscar and Emmy-winning post-production sound professionals for animation, film, TV, and games and cover topics like sound design, production sound, dialog and music editing, and re-recording mixing.
Primary Objectives and Responsibilities:
Internship Program Management (55%)
● Facilitates the interview and selection process for each semester’s intern cohort (3 times annually).
● Leads orientation and training sessions for interns to familiarize them with the organization, our programs, the studios’ operations and set clear expectations.
● Organizes and facilitates professional development, networking and shadowing opportunities with WAM’s corporate partners.
● Provides daily oversight and management of interns.
● Oversees day-to-day scheduling of interns and their responsibilities, including supporting Girls on the Mic and adult classes, studio sessions, studio maintenance, program admin, event support, and other tasks.
● Coordinates regularly with WAM staff on projects in need of support and provides supervision of interns to ensure timely and effective completion.
● Provides soft skills and basic technical training and feedback (communications, professional protocols, basic audio skills, resumes, etc.) to interns.
● Acts as point of contact for WAM’s Internship Program graduates, engaging them as volunteers, mentors, and for special professional development opportunities.
● Implements and maintains an effective database to track interns internally and after graduation.
Job Placement and Career Counseling (25%)
● Acts as a liaison to companies, studios, venues, etc. that seek to hire WAM’s graduates or interns.
● Searches company websites and other job boards for possible audio opportunities and disseminates to current and past interns and students.
● Keeps WAM’s job board current and populated with opportunities.
● Coordinates incoming career opportunities and provides support to Director of Education in finding interns (past and present) with matching skill sets.
● Follows up with companies to get feedback on recent placements.
● Maintains placement data in intern database.
Internship Graduates/Membership Program Engagement & Coordination (10%)
● Works to increase engagement of WAM’s intern graduates and members through regular communication and events.
● Attends, hosts and/or facilitates events for members and intern graduates.
● Manages member relationships and follows up on lapsed memberships, working with WAM’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
● Manages online community forum(s), including Facebook groups, job board, and future Slack, Discord, etc. channels to build network and resources available for members and intern graduates.
Conferences & Events (10%)
● Provides coordination and production support for events on and offsite as needed, including conferences, performances, studio events, and others.
● Oversees intern scheduling and tasks related to conferences and events.
● At least 3 years of program coordination experience, including scheduling, managing youth and/or emerging professionals, volunteers, and/or other staff (required)
● Experience leading and administering classes and events
● Educational background and/or equivalent experience in audio technology (required)
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (required)
● Strong organizational skills
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Excellent verbal and written skills
Location: This position is located in Oakland and San Francisco, with regular travel throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland, and Silicon Valley with occasional travel nationally.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary in the $55,000- $65,000 range commensurate with individual’s experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
Women's Audio Mission is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life to apply.
Please do not call or email about this position.