Title: Case Manager/Community Support Specialist
Reports To: Director of Programs
Salary: $60,000-$65,000 with a generous benefits package including unlimited PTO
Customary Work Hours: Full-time at 40 hours per week
Customary Work Days: Monday-Friday, one Saturday per month with periodic weekends/evenings for meetings and events.
Destiny Arts Center (DAC) is seeking a full-time Case Manager/Community Support Specialist to join a collegial community of talented professionals dedicated to the power of the arts to transform the lives of young people, families, and communities.
Destiny Arts Center’s mission is to inspire and ignite social change through the arts. For over 30 years, Destiny has been committed to supporting young people as they develop their skills as artists, global citizens, and advocates for peace in their communities and beyond. Supported by our peaceful Warrior’s Code of values (love, honor, respect, responsibility, and peace), DAC artists establish a classroom culture of welcome to support youth’s sense of safety, value, and interpersonal connection. As a result, young people live peaceful, connected, and creative lives. Since its inception, DAC has worked to co-create a culture that de-centers dominant social narratives and centers the traditions, resources, and creativity of queer and Black,Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). DAC works to connect majority BIPOC youth with hip hop dance, traditional African dance, and martial arts programs taught by professional artists of color for more than 30 years. We have seen that as youth connect to their own stories and that of their communities, they broaden their awareness of social issues, and many have gained tools for arts-based civic action.
DAC offers sliding scale after-school, weekend, and summer programs at our North Oakland arts center. Our work focuses on creating safe and inclusive spaces for creative expression: welcoming and caring for every young person who joins us, providing opportunities to learn, grow, heal, and use movement arts to forge meaningful transformation in our young people and collectively in our communities.
The Case Manager will support youth ages (3-18 yrs.) and their families enrolled in DAC programs by providing one-on-one counseling, including crisis intervention, advocacy, and referral services; develop relationships of trust with clients for the purpose of offering motivational counseling.
Case Managers will utilize a strength-based approach to complete biopsychosocial assessments of newly enrolled participants, co-develop individualized action plans and update evaluations quarterly. Case Managers will also support Teaching artists by providing youth development best practices. This position supports youth and families throughout their engagement with Destiny Arts Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Administers biopsychosocial assessments, case management, and counseling services
● Manages documentation for organizational purposes and management and reporting for grants
● Counsels youth and their families to facilitate achieving goals, developing life skills, conducting
activities, and monitoring the service environment to maximize client success and well-being.
● Provide crisis intervention, conflict resolution, and low-intensity counseling to individuals
● Promote youth self-sufficiency and independence
● Attends community meetings that pertain to resources beneficial to DAC youth and families
● Works with community partners to maximize the assistance for clients.
● Advocates on behalf of youth and families to assure basic needs and other related matters are
● Composes or prepares correspondence, case notes, narrative and technical reports,
notifications, and related documents
● Conduct comprehensive, client-centered social work activities in accordance with best practices.
● Work closely with Destiny Teaching Artist around best practices to engage young people.
● Stay abreast of community resources and procedures for referring clients to appropriate
● Attend organizational and external meetings, trainings, workshops, and other program activities
● Maintains excellent professional boundaries and adheres to all professional, ethical standards,
including complying with all mandated reporting procedures
● Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
● Minimum of 3-5 years direct service experience with children, youth, and families
● General knowledge of case management methods, principles, techniques, and resources
(including information/referral, assessment, interviewing, client advocacy, crisis, and risk
intervention, resource utilization)
● Ability to quickly adapt to new technology, automated systems, and databases
● Deep respect and knowledge of how movement art is utilized as an intervention
● The ability to practice cultural humility
● Have experience working with system engaged or previously system engaged youth and families
● Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle a variety of tasks
● Ability to work independently, take the initiative, prioritize duties and work closely with several
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
Destiny Arts Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal legal system, or any other basis prohibited by law